Thursday, October 10, 2013

Thursdays.

Thursdays are my day.  I say my day, but this little cutie is along for the ride as well.  
It's so nice to have some one-on-one time with him and he's the best baby to take places!  Shopping Buddy in the making! 

Bennett started a 2 day/week preschool this year and it has been a wonderful change for him and our entire family!

I had forgotten how incredibly easy it is to take just one child out & about.  Can I get an amen from multiple children moms?  Anyways, we run errands and do a little shopping.  One of our usual stops is Target...for Starbucks and for the million other things we don't need.

Today, I was very observant about my fellow Target shoppers.  Most were moms like myself, 1, 2, 3 children piled in the big red carts.  Target is one big field trip for stay-at-home moms!  True story.  I have spent countless days wandering the aisles feeding Bennett popcorn from the cafe, grabbing a box of mum mums off the shelf and feeding them to Anderson, chugging my venti white mocha, oohhing and ahhing over everything, putting it all in the cart to only place it in an undisclosed location around the store because I have opted out of buying it.  I'm sure everyone does this.  No?  Just me?  

My observations from a stroll around Target today:

To the Mom(s) wearing yoga pants: you rock.
To the Mom(s) letting your child chew on a baby food package to keep them quiet: you rock.
To the Mom(s) bribing your toddler with chocolate: you rock.
To the Mom(s) picking up the trail of popcorn your child is leaving: you rock.
To the Mom(s) not picking up the trail of popcorn your child is leaving: you rock.
To the Mom(s) buying all the great home decor Target has to offer: you rock.
To the Mom(s) wishing they could buy all the amazing home decor: you rock too.

{I may or may not have been all of the above at some point in time}

Nothing, absolutely nothing makes me feel better than to see or talk to other moms who make me feel normal.  Motherhood is one continuous struggle, spiraling into a huge ball of emotions.

Today, I looked down at my leggings and rain boots, my cart full of stuff I couldn't buy, and my baby chewing on a snack container full of animal crackers, and felt awesome.  Because for once, I felt like part of the ranks.  We're all doing it, we're all struggling, but what's important is that we make each other feel normal.  And loved. And accepted. And incredible.  Because after all, that's what God made us to be.

And for the record, I ended up purchasing mayo, Dr. Peppers, and a gold mettalic writing pen that was on sale for $0.38.
Score. 
  

7 comments:

Jenn said...

love this post! now to get a target to my small town. I miss it so!

Mrs Gable said...

Shannon you are my sister from another mister! I am always putting things in my cart and leaving them in the towel isle (nobody is ever in that isle). And to keep Caleb from not going crazy he was standing in the larger part of the cart. Momma's should always be there for each other and never judge!

Love the new name and style!

The comment you left on my blog, touched my heart more than you will ever know!

Unknown said...

NO lie, I did this very thing with my daughter today! Target is my BEST friend, when this mom needs a little "me" time :) My daughter loves the popcorn we always get, and I WOULD be buying Starbucks coffee, drinking it while I shop, but sadly our Target doesn't have Starbucks yet. And now we're PCSing to a place where the nearest Target is an hour away. Kinda freaking out! So cool to read that other moms do the Target thing too :)

Aishlea said...

Target is my fav!! We usually go on Sundays for whatever we need and I haven't been in almost a month- since the Sunday before Landry was born. I am in withdrawal!! ;)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Nowadays I have to stop myself from going into Target. I can never get out of there without buying tons of stuff.

Jessica said...

This is so great! This mom gig is so hard - I don't know why we make it harder by judging each other all the time. And for the record, I am almost always the one in yoga pants.

-Jessica
mamawowdy.wordpress.com

Mrs. K said...

I haven't logged on to my blog in ages, but I finally did and was so excited to see you've updated!! I can't believe how big your first baby has gotten and that there is a baby boy number 2!! I am (finally) pregnant with my first and wanted to get back into blogging to make sure I'm able to document the little things. Look forward to reading more and glad you're doing well!!!