Friday, January 6, 2012

2012. The Year of Impact.

I've mentioned it to several people, but I don't feel that becoming a Mother has changed me.  I do feel, however, that it has made me a MUCH better version of myself.  I still enjoy all the things I did before I had Bennett...shopping, going out with friends, blogging, crafting, cooking, etc.  The only difference is that now, those things take a backseat to my responsibilities as Bennett's mom...as it should!  I feel this way about my relationship with Greg too.  I don't feel that being married to him has changed the person I am..only upgraded me.  He took a girl that was broken, had trust issues, self-esteem issues and loved me.  Loved me like there was no tomorrow.  And because of that, I'm a much better version of myself.

I was thinking back on our New Years celebration last year.  I wrote this post here about the events.  We enjoyed a quiet night in with some great friends and their children that we've met along the Army Journey.  Greg and I had a conversation on the way home about how big of a year 2011 was going to be for us...how challenging it was going to be.  I told him, that no matter what, we would grow together as a family!  He told me that he was "excited about us".  Such a true statement.  I'm so excited to say now that 2011 is over, we've done just that!  We are such a close family...no matter the miles between us.

As I watch my son nap on the monitor and write this blog post, I want to share my feelings on what I want 2012 to be for me.  This year, I want to make an impact.  A big one..on someone's life.

My growth through becoming a Wife and Mom and the strength I've gained through this deployment have given me the tools to relate to people on a very personal level.  A level where most people dare not go.  A level where others get annoyed.  A level where others feel that a pity party is being thrown.  A level where I once was during my postpartum depression. 

When I scroll through my facebook news feed daily, I see so many people struggling.  Struggling with loneliness, parenting, finances, infertility, employment, happiness. 

I want to take it upon myself to help make these people feel better.  An encouraging word can make a lasting impression and turn a day around for someone.  I know, because I've had people do that for me my whole life.  I say all the time that I know the GREATEST people.  I do!  For every negative or hurtful person in my life, God has replaced them with a handful of encouraging, uplifting people.  It has been astonishing to sit back and watch His faithfulness at work in my life. 

I want to be the eyes, hands, voice, and heart who let people know how much they are loved.  Or how great of a job they are doing at something.  Or just how wonderful of a person they are. 

So, forget new years resolutions to lose weight. To save money. To travel more. To get a 6-pack.

I want to focus on what's really important.  And be a first class role model for the person I want my son to become.
2012. The Year of Impact.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Really touching post Shannon:) You're a great mommmy and Bennett is very lucky to have been given you!

Mrs. K said...

Such a great post!! So excited to see that you are posting more. I always love reading what you have to say!

ms.composure said...

stumbled on your blog and i am LOVING it...
this is such a gr8 post and def some gr8 things to strive for this year!
good luck on your journey to achieving those goals

http://infinitelifefitness.com
http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

Tara G. said...

We were at EAFB and loved it! Soak up as much Alaska as you can- it's such a great assignment!

Ann said...

Found your blog through Kelly's link up. Living in Alaska the title of your blog immediately caught my interest! As I was reading your blog I saw you had visited Chena Hot Springs. I live in Fairbanks too, about a mile from Ft. Wainwright. Hope you are staying warm this winter :-) I grew up here and after college out of state I dragged my husband back up with me. Have a great Friday and stay warm!

alaskasnowangel.blogspot.com

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I think 2012 is going to be a great year for you!

Amy's Avenue Blog! said...

Aww just wanted to say hi from Kellys Korner. We are also a military family. I love reading fellow military blogs and cant wait to catch up on yours!!!

Take care- Amy!
(my link up post: http://amysavenueblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/welcome-from-kellys-korner.html)