Tuesday, April 27, 2010

sunshine & turquoise.



67 degrees today in Alaska...we'll take it!

Brigade Ball was a good time.  I love seeing my husband all dressed up! Enjoy a couple of pics:
{don't hate on the screen door...you know you're loving it}

On Saturdays, Greg and I have been little worker bees trying to make this house a "home".  Ever since I was a little girl I have dreamed of having my own "area" in the house..a dressing room!  Complete with a vanity, tons of girly vintage glam decor, and even a mannequin wearing my wedding dress.  Hey, a girl can dream right?!?  Well, our house isn't big enough for that yet...our 2 spare rooms are being used as an office/craft room and guest room.  We do have a little nook at the top of our stairs and I just knew it would be perfect for a vanity area!  I absolutely CANNOT stand up to put on my makeup and dry my hair.  You can go right ahead and call me spoiled, a diva, whatever...doesn't bother me! :)
We went to Fred Meyers [one of the ONLY places to shop here] and found a fairly decent desk and random chair.  For some, that would have been ok..but for me, I wanted to personalize it! In turquoise...my fav. accent color & new chair fabric!  Here are a few before & after pics..

This is before...minus the chair cover. I had already gotten to that!
 and after...
I have jewelry overload so we made this cute necklace & earring holder out of plywood, fabric, and cabinet knobs/pulls. 
 And I had no probem filling it! 
all decorated!

This past weekend Greg and I built a privacy fence in our backyard.  One would think that a privacy fence would be a normal thing that came with a row house..but apparently not in AK!  Our neighbors have about a million kids that are SUPER loud, annoying, and constantly running right at our windows!  And I'm a big fan of sitting outside every night after work..so privacy was much needed!  Thank goodness I married a handy-man & I'm becoming quite the fan of powertools myself! Here's a few pics of that project:





Next up on our agenda: GARDEN! :)  I never thought I would enjoy such "wife" things, but I'm really having a blast!  Now, the real question is...should I paint the fence a pale yellow or leave it au natural?!?  Hope everyone is having a great week!

24 comments:

Goodnight moon said...

First of all....SMOKING HOT dress!!!!!! Hotdog!!!!!

I love the desk/chair make-over! And I'm seriously going to have to steal your jewerly holder idea! That is super cute!!!!!!!

Great job with the house;)

Paige said...

You did an amazing job on the decor! You and your Husband look incredibly happy doing all of these "married life" things together! haha. I really love the last picture of you two!

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

I absolutely love the personalized desk!! Turquoise is always a winner in my book :) You did a fab job chickadee!!

My Army Brats and Me said...

I love doing all the those things too. It seems like just when we are done with all of our fun stuff to the house it is time to move again and start all over. Never boring:)

AmberDenae said...

LOVE your vanity area, Shannon! So adorable! Very chic and totally YOU. So cute. Great job, girl!

JG said...

I *love* your dress! And that jewelry board is a great idea!

Lauren said...

Girl, I love reading about how ya’ll are thriving in this new season of your life. I miss you tons and we need a phone date pronto. I want to come and visit you sooooooooo bad!!!!!!

simplydreaming said...

You did an awesome job on the desk and chair, I must know your secrets. Did you use spray paint???

Sarah said...

I LOVE your vanity area! That would be so cute to have a whole little room for a dressing room someday! Probably wouldn't happen for me but the concept is really cute! I have a desk in the corner by my closet that I could use. Hmm. Thanks for the great idea!

*Teresa* said...

LOVE the vanity and chair! SO CUTE! And how creative with the knobs and handles for your jewelry!! And my vote is to leave the fence like it is. Looks like you are doing great in AK! Congrats on everything!

No Model Lady said...

I love it! I can't stand doing my makeup or hair standing up either! Go crafty girl, Go!

Mateya said...

Oh I love that jewelry board! Such a great idea :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I love your vanity! So great!

Miss Jody said...

Paint the fence!!

You two are great!
I love the fact your making the most out of it!! :)
Your a great person :)

Shanon said...

I LOVE the jewlery holder, in fact I do believe I am going to steal the idea if that is ok :)

Paint the fence it will be pretty!

MrsDixon said...

Love the made over table and chair! Too cute!! Great blog, girlie!

Andrea said...

I vote to NOT paint the fence. It fits in with the Alaska backdrop left bare. And it will chip and be a real pain in the butt if you paint it.

Beautiful dress. I cannot wait for another ball so I can shop again!

Jenn said...

I love the homemade vanity! Such and amazing design! I love the colors. Call me spoiled too cause I hate doing both standing up. Sadly in this house I have to right now...


Jenn

NuFlaiir - Planning a Destination Wedding said...

**Check out my blog to participate of the CNS Stores giveaway**

Have a great weekend.

~lilian~

Jenn said...

Mrs. Shannon you have won an award over at my site. Check it out... Congratulations!

http://chancesimtaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-first-award.html


Jenn

Meredith said...

Shannon,
I am visiting (er, blog hopping) from Brittney Lyda's blog. What a cute blog you've established here. Kudos for the vanity area that you crafted yourself. Turquoise is such an 'in' color right now! Your jewelry board is genius! I had to comment on your craftiness... I am looking forward to seeing more from you!
Meredith
jeredith.blogspot.com

Traditions By The Seasons said...

Hi!

I'm your newest follower! I am so glad I found your blog! Your jewelry holder is phenomenal, what a fabulous idea! I can see you like jewelry just like I do! =)

You are adorable and I am envious that you live in Alaska. I have always wanted to visit and see what it's like there. Looks like you are having fun. =)

Have a wonderful day! XO ~Liz

Unknown said...

I love it all! You looked gorgeous and all of your projects turned out fabulous!!

Jenn said...

You got another award. Head over and check it out.


http://chancesimtaking.blogspot.com/

Jenn